Clear all

[Sticky] Session 5 Discussion Questions

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Reactions
(@elester_u9cu05i5)
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

Session 5 talks about the importance of creating adaptive perspectives. This can be done by identifying NATs and cognitive distortions, and then either replacing them with adaptive thoughts or accepting them as true.

1. Name a NAT or cognitive distortion you have dealt with on your NF journey.

2. Write an adaptive thought you could replace it with or write how you accept the NAT as true. Feel free to discuss your reasoning behind your choice.

(@mghnfw18)

A reoccurring NAT for me is that I'll not be able to work and make a living to support myself or that my physical condition will deteriorate to such a level that living alone will be unsafe for me.  

I first accept that this IS a POSSIBILITY for me. Then I adapt the thought to I don't know what tomorrow will bring or even the next hour is not guaranteed.  I remind myself how healthy I am today and that I am doing all things possible to keep myself as healthy as is in my control.  I also remind myself that if in fact my health (physical or mental) should deteriorate, I can handle it.  I have people in my life that love me and will be beside me on my journey supporting me all the way.  One of my favorite adaptive thought mantras is 'I have a 100% success rate of making it through the tough days this far'.  

ReplyQuote
(@mghnfw28)

All or nothing: I had an appointment with a rheumatologist. He wanted to make me an infiltration in my knee where I have some tumors, and I didn't want to do it because I scare that it could be painful or touch my tumors. The rheumatologist said that he don't see why I am so scared.

After that I didn't say one word and was thinking, I will never come back. He was in a harry because I think that he wants to make money with the patients. He said also that I am too fat and it's bad for the knee. 

I said to my husband, I will never come back to this rheumatologist. (I have a good one in Paris, but I am in South of France.) 

I recognized my all or nothing. And that I reacted too fast.

I make a diet because I have cholesterol also, and I accepted that it could be better for my knee.

But because of my very rare disease, I prefer to go to my rheumatologist in Paris in September. 

I did an half half and not all or nothing.

I had a wonderful week in my garden, in my forest, I worked in it. It's a paradise for me. I have a sit in a tree, there I can hear the birds, look at the forest. it's my imaginary place, but it is real. And reading in my forest or making a nap is the best of a day. (I have also a little house, but it looks like that I am living only in my forest!)

Have all a good week

ReplyQuote
(@mghnfw21)

I can sometimes feel not understood by family members, who do not have NF.  They don't seem to get that there are good days and can be really bad day as well.  It varies with me, depending on activity, medicine, etc.  

ReplyQuote
(@elester_u9cu05i5)
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

@mghnfw18 Thank you for sharing this. It's a great phrase to have for yourself :) 100%

ReplyQuote
(@elester_u9cu05i5)
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

@mghnfw21 This is a great point. Thank you for sharing!

ReplyQuote
(@elester_u9cu05i5)
Eminent Member Admin
Topic starter  

@mghnfw28 This is a fantastic description. excellent job - keep up the good work!

ReplyQuote